Hello Global Beauties,
It’s that time of year again where all the yummy dessert is everywhere you look but you struggle with the fact that it is all so unhealthy for you. You want to indulge yet you want to think of your vacation body goals and get a new years resolution head start on your healthy diet. Thankfully there are healthy desserts you can indulge in without worrying about your waistline.
One of my favorite healthy holiday desserts are Banana-Bran Muffins. They are too good to pass up and you can devour these beauties without a worry in the world whether or not it’s too unhealthy for you. You can eat these muffins and have your cake, too! The cinnamon banana flavor will lift your holiday spirits and you can even add in some dark chocolate chips for some extra fun and flavor. This recipe gives you the option to sprinkle some walnuts on top if you feel like going the extra mile for a little crunch. They are simply amazing and filled with mouth-watering goodness all while keeping your health in check. These Banana Bran Muffins make the perfect healthy holiday dessert that your family and friends will be begging for more!
Ingredients: (makes about 12 muffins)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional topping)
Preparation: (about 1 hour)
- First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, coat twelve muffins cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk the eggs and brown sugar in a bowl until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Then whisk in the bananas, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Make a good size ditch in the middle of the dry ingredients bowl to add the wet ingredients into the mixture.
- Use a spatula to carefully stir the dry and wet ingredients together until smooth.
- Stir in the dark chocolate chips. (optional)
- Carefully scoop the mixed batter into the muffin cups about ¾ of the way full.
- Sprinkle the crushed walnuts on top. (optional)
- Lastly, put the muffins into the oven to bake until the tops reach a lightly golden brown color (about 15 to 25 minutes depending)
- Let cool and then indulge!
Now beauties, get to baking these amazingly delicious healthy holiday treats for you and your loved ones to enjoy. Trust me, you’ll soon be craving more without feeling guilty!
Written by: Megan Cerami
cover image/recipe from eatingwell.com (source)